Friday, February 9, 2007

Junk Food








So - I was just updating my profile and decided to explain the significance of "the Happiness of Pursuit". This got me thinking about tombstones and "life slogans" and little traditions - things I say all the time.
For instance - I have a pat answer to the question, "cremation or burial?". I always answer that I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread at James Coney Island. You know - that great hot dog place we have here in Houston. You might ask, WHY? Well - it's simply a tradition. James Coney Island is the place I celebrated many of my landmarks in womanhood. (why I chose a hot dog place is beyond me - but Freud would have a field day!). Here's the story:

When I was 13 and started my (whisper) period, my mother wanted to celebrate. She told me that when my sister embarked on her "life as a woman", she was given the choice of where to go for a celebration luncheon. She chose the Sakowitz lunch room (very swank Ladies who Lunch place back then). I was now given the choice and I chose James Coney Island - it was my favorite place to eat after all.
So since then other womanly landmarks celebrated there with Mom include:
  • My first bra
  • Turning 16
  • My debut (eeek)
  • and my wedding (the first) - this actually wasn't at JCI - we were in Lynchburg, Virginia which is not blessed with same - so we had a chili dog at the Cavalier.



I don't eat hot dogs any more (nitrates!) but the flowerbed at James Coney Island remains for me the eventual repository of my remains. At least that is the story I like to tell.

xoxo

PS - I forgot to mention that the births of my children were not celebrated in this way. My boy's birth was toasted with a fried egg and cheese sandwich and an Oreo shake from the Pig Stand - and my daughter's was marked by the consumption of an entire Pecan Pie from Goode Company BBQ.

I think I'll go and make myself a salad now...

3 comments:

Minnesota Matron said...

Very sweet post . . . thanks for visiting my blog. I love how food marks us and tells a story. Hmmm . . . I may see more stories of my own coming!! I'm inspired.

Mrs. G. said...

Fried egg sandwich? MMMMMMMM...I had forgotten how amazing these can be.

Jennifer said...

Lol, I came upon your blog by happenstance.

My husband and I's wedding was catered by James Coney Island--they said it was the only one they had ever done!